Sunday, April 20, 2008

Earthquake!!!

Now that the flooding seems to have ceased, it was time for the Midwest to have a new natural disaster....and we did!! St. Louis experienced an earthquake early last Friday morning of a 5.2 magnitude. It wasn't the first earthquake I've ever been in, but it was the first time that I was ever awake during one. The shockwave hit our house at 4:41 a.m., and it shook our house so much that I sat bolt upright in bed and watched my room shake around me. It took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on, but when I felt my bed shaking about a foot from side to side, our fireplace grate (which weighs a ton) rattling, and our television jumping around, I figured it out really fast. James, of course, was so tired from a week of 17-hour long workdays that he didn't even flinch...he just slept right through it.

The Lord really protected us, and even though our dishes rattled, we didn't have anything break. Some other people had more trouble, though, with windows cracking and buildings falling apart. The Kingshighway overpass that crosses over Interstate 64 (right beside Barnes Hospital where James works, about 4 blocks from our house) had to be shut down for several hours, since part of the overpass crumbled and they had to clear the debris off the highway.

Here are a couple pictures of what happened to some people near us:
















No comments: