Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Where in the World is the Sagar Family?

Well, we sold the house...Hooray!!!  I'm so glad not to have to worry about that anymore.  I had been starting to feel like we would NEVER be able to actually leave St. Louis, since we'd be tied to that house for the rest of our lives.  (I could picture myself as a little old lady, coming back to make sure the front flower bed was weeded...) 

The contract came through in early March, and we were supposed to close on March 30, so we had to move fast.  We put our stuff into a moving truck on March 29, and Allied Vans drove it down to Savannah and unloaded it for us the following week.  Belle and I flew down to Savannah to oversee the moving process, and my mom came down to chauffeur us around and generally help us get things done.  My friend Katie drove up from Florida one day to help us unpack, and between myself, Mom, and Katie, we actually got most of the house ready!!!  I couldn't believe it.  A huge THANK YOU to Mom and Katie!!

Since Bank of America was handling the buyer's mortgage, of course we didn't close on time...not even close.  (Have I mentioned how much I don't like BoA?)  There was no good reason for the delay - they just didn't feel like getting it done on time, and they took it slowly.  We actually closed ten - yes that's right TEN - days late, but at least we closed.  Being the lawyer that I am, I also made the buyer pay us the extra money that we lost by having to pay our mortgage for ten extra days.  Hopefully she'll learn to use a good bank next time she buys a house. 

Of course, since we've moved our furniture and belongings, we needed a temporary place to live in St. Louis until we actually moved to Savannah.  Thankfully, the seminary where I work has a retreat center, and they had some extra space.  We're all living in a big bedroom with our own private bathroom, and there is even a kitchen, towels, sheets, etc., so we didn't have to keep any of that here with us.  We can't live here the entire time, so the final two weeks of our St. Louis life, we'll be imposing on friends, but it is great for these seven weeks that we're here. 

I'll post some pictures soon, and I will also be writing about Ella's new favorite activity, which involves rocks, water, bugs, her daddy, and the back yard of the retreat center.  Stay tuned!

No comments: