Thursday, October 14, 2010

Autumn Colors

Once upon a time, I lived in Charlottesville, Virginia for four whole years.  Every fall in Charlottesville, a miracle happens, and it becomes the most beautiful place in the world.  Like Japan in cherry blossom time, God works an amazing feat of nature, and the trees paint the world with colors that are more vivid than anything you could imagine.  In C'ville, this takes the form of yellow, orange, purple, and red leaves on the trees that make your eyes ache with their beauty.

I no longer live in Charlottesville.

Sigh.

Normally, I don't miss it, but during October, I dream about it.  And so, in order to fill up the mysterious void in my soul that simply won't go away until I've seen the trees change colors, I pull out my camera and go hunting.  Saint Louis is no C'ville, but it does have some treasures if you go looking for them. Here's what I found...

This one is in the park across the street.
 



















These twins are three blocks west of our house...
















This guy peeps over the gate at the south entrance of Tower Grove Park...





















This fella is on the far end of our block, across the street from Megan and Chad's house...





















And this guy, a couple blocks south of us, is still in the beginning stages of his transformation.  I'll probably go check him out again next week.





















How are things lookin' where you live?

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Compared to St. Louis we have no color. It has been so dry that we have green and brown but hardly any of the reds and golds that are so beautiful in the fall...by the way I love the way your personalize the trees--referring to them as "this guy", etc.

Kristen said...

Well, most of these trees are a lot older than me, so I thought I should treat them with respect! Ha, ha!

It's been pretty dry here, but I guess we still get more water b/c we're so close to the rivers.

sokkz said...

The leaves are just starting to fall here. Rafael loves dead, crunchy leaves, so he goes nuts every time we walk. It's nice to see someone appreciate the little things.